About

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

The Bicycle Gauntlet

So, the family and I are on vacation for two weeks in the Outer Banks. I have been getting up early and either jogging four miles or riding a blcycle for ten miles. I like doing it because I'm down to 174 pounds, and the sidewalks are full or walkers, joggers, and cyclists.
Every time I see one go by me, I always say hi or good morning. Everyone is friendly here, so it's a nice change from my town.
So today, I got to mile five, where I would turn around and head back. There was a guy, elderly, who refused to move over so I could pass, after I asked politely. Finally I went off the walkway and went on the grass. Two seconds later, the chain popped off.
I may or may not have screamed the F word at the guy.
I tried to fix the chain, but it wasn't happening. So, I walked the five miles back to the house. Now I'm not saying I was asking for help, but a ton of people walked right past me and never asked, "Hey, are you okay?" Or, "Can I help?" Nothing. I guess they were all too busy.
Any hoo, I walked back to the house, bicycle in hand, and I tried again.
I wanted to finish my ten miles, and she tried to stop me before I went out again. When I got home, I saw she fixed the bike. The missus tried and thank goodness she fixed it.

5 comments:

  1. Proving once again that:

    1) she's a keeper
    2) you don't deserve a queen like her.

    Just kidding! I'm yanking your chain... *ahem*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the walking and the ten miles, I was exhausted. We were on the beach today and despite a little rain it was a good day.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, she and Kevin are our fixers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outer Banks = Great fun! Wish I could go hang out there for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete