About

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Cry Freedom!

Despite what I posted yesterday, I never really thought Michael Jackson would be convicted. It was more wishful thinking on my part, since I would have pulled every law enforcement string I had to see him moonwalking in D Block. Unfortunately, the prosecution's case was flimsy at best, and District Attorney Tom Sneddon had to deal with a California jury (remember O.J.?).

I often joke that the reason many high-profile cases go awry is because the folks who are weighing the evidence weren't smart enough to avoid jury duty. In the Simpson case, for example, the explanation of the DNA evidence - which alone should have brought about a conviction, SINCE HIS BLOOD WAS FOUND ALL OVER THE CRIME SCENE!!! - completely lost the jury. While the lab tech was describing the odds of the blood being from another person, the jury was humming the Golden Grahams jingle in their head. "Oh, those Golden Grahams . . . " I am not about to crucify this particular jury, but just because the prosecution didn't prove the fire doesn't mean there isn't smoke coming from the Neverland Ranch.

Do I think Jackson molested this child? Absolutely. Do I think he should have been convicted? Not with the evidence presented, no.

I feel bad for the victim in this case. No matter what you think of the child's mother - if nothing else, she should have never been called to the stand - her entire family had to suffer the stress of a long trial, only to find out the jury didn't believe their story. How do you explain this to the victim? If the accusations are true, this entire family just lost faith in the criminal justice system.

And that is an all-too-common malady in this country today.

4 comments:

  1. My brother is a cop.

    Sadly, stuff like this happens all the time.
    The prosecutions evidence was indeed weak.
    Was the Golden Grahms thing a Simpson's (Homer, not OJ) reference?

    Great site, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much!

    Yes, the Golden Grahams theme was a Homer Simposn reference - he was singing it upon re-entry when he was part of a space shuttle mission. Great episode!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir, your conservative opinions and love of The Simpsons more than warrant a link on my blog.
    Please return the favour.

    ReplyDelete