About

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Conversation

So, despite my expectations, I worked my usual solo car last night. (My current partner was on vacation, so I guess Sergeant Scumbag couldn't justify putting one on the wagon without the other.) However, I was told to sit on a security detail for the first two and a half hours of the tour. I didn't much mind, because I was sitting on an off-duty detective's house - the detective has been getting death threats. (I can't wait 'til that happens to me! Actually, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet on the blog.)

Anyhoo, I am sitting in my car listening to the Colts spank the Pats (Whoo hoo!) and Sergeant Scumbag pulls up. This is the first time I have seen him since the screaming incident. (For those who don't remember, the sergeant flipped his lid primarily because he hates my partner and thought we didn't handle a job as quickly as he liked.) At this point, I am assuming he's going to either continue to harass me, or admit he was wrong for the whole incident.

He did neither.

Here's how the conversation went:

Sergeant - "I just wanted to say 'no hard feelings' about the other night."

Wyatt - "Fine." (Insert pissy attitude while refusing to look at the man.)

Sergeant - "I mean, I'm about to retire and you're going to get promoted, so . . . "

Wyatt - (To myself) "So . . . what?"

Sergeant - "You're a good cop."

Wyatt - (To myself) "No sh*t."

Sergeant - "I'm fair with everyone. You would have done the same thing if you were a supervisor and saw something wrong."

Wyatt - (Again, to myself) - "Bullsh*t. You are picking on me because you hate my partner, and I would never scream profanities at a subordinate for not handling an alarm in under twenty minutes."

Sergeant - "Well, I just wanted to say 'no hard feelings.' Have a good night."

Wyatt - "Yeah."

(As an aside, I took note of every job last night where the officers did not tell radio that they were "on location" - another of his grievances with us - guess how many there were? Fifteen! And Sergeant Scumbag didn't say a word to any of the officers.)

From my two semesters of college psychology, I can only theorize that the sergeant talked to me to make himself feel better. He offered no apology, and refused to admit he did anything wrong. I wanted to get into it with him, but I would have had better luck talking to my vehicle. If you hadn't guessed from my two answers (and the fact that I never once looked at him) he is still "dead" to me.

11 comments:

  1. I'd say your two semesters paid off.
    You nailed it, Wyatt.

    Hopefully he'll be out of your hair soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One can only hope, CUG. He completely loses it in front of me and my partner, then rips us to the squad when we're off, and thinks I'm goona say, "Oh sure, sarge, no problem."

    Get bent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anti - Yeah, he is (as the French say) a douche.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good ridance to him! Here's hoping he's gone soon. Take care Wyatt...others appreciate your service:) And your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SK - Thanks, I appreciate my readers more, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How many of those fifteen did I fail to put myself on location? Oh wait, it doesn't matter. DJ likes me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fact that he said "no hard feelings" without acknowledging that he'd done anything wrong is the sign of a true asshat. I'm proud of you for maintaining your composure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So if I said I was a Colts man, would I get tossed out of Pennsylvania?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm gonna kill you Wyatt!

    (there's your first death threat)

    fine print: "...if you don't drink these Guinness's with me schmuck..."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wagon - Yeah, he LOVES you! Considering where you were assigned last night. Tee hee hee!

    Gunn - It wasn't easy, believe me.

    Prof - Not at all. I love Peyton. Wish we had him. Maybe he wouldn't throw passes at our receivers' feet!

    Peak - Sweet!!! I am willing to share Guinness with my detail!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If he loves me, he would have kissed me first.

    ReplyDelete