About

Monday, November 14, 2005

Eddie Guerrero 1967-2005

A World Wrestling Entertainment star was found dead in his hotel room Sunday in Minneapolis, where he was scheduled to appear that evening in a WWE show.

Eduardo Gory Guerrero, 38, didn't respond to a wake-up call Sunday morning, authorities said. His nephew, fellow WWE wrestler Chavo Guerrero, and hotel security at the Minneapolis Marriott City Center forced their way into the room and found him.

There were no apparent signs of foul play, police said. An autopsy was planned to determine how Guerrero died.

Like most of my friends, I grew up on wrestling. Sure, we knew it was "fake," but it was always damned entertaining. If there was anything in the wrestling world that was certain, it was the fact that these men and women were terrific athletes. Everyone who has seen MTV's "Tough Enough" series witnessed some of the torture they have to deal with every day. Sometimes it takes its toll.

Eddie Geurrero was an enormously talented entertainer. He was also human. Eddie was never shy about his battles with drug and alcohol addiction, especially after he got sober four years ago. I hope that his untimely death had nothing to do with drugs or alcohol, but so far the signs are pointing that way.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to here that, Wyatt.
    Waaaaay too young, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the other lame post.
    Was in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My age...too young. They live hard; that is for sure. I am hoping drugs and booze were not in the equation, too. Apparently he was sober and had found God. I don't really watch wrestling any more, but from channel surfing I could tell he was looking "bigger." Perhaps, allegedly (whatever legal term will keep me out of defamation/slander land) he had steroid issues. I guess I should get a screen name instead of using anonymous, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. CUG - No prob, chief.

    RT - I would almost hope it would be something like 'roids as opposed to the other choices. I haven't watched it in years, either, but I remember seeing Geurrero wrestle on TV all the time. Damned shame.

    SK - Agreed.

    ReplyDelete