About

Thursday, December 22, 2005

A Real-Life Movie Moment

"Mmm . . . peanut butter and crack sandwich!"

Once in a great while, cops get a chance to do something really cool. I got my chance today.

In the middle of promotional training - yes, I'm still there, and don't get my new assignment until the end of the month - the building had a fire drill. We all filed out and waited on the opposite corner until the alarm stopped. The building is downtown, where the streets are crawling with wretched refuse. I'm standing in plainclothes (white shirt, grey pants and tie, and a black leather 3/4 length jacket) with my friend Scott when a homeless crack addict approached.

Oh, here we go.

Tyrone Biggums asked, "Hey, you guys got any spare change?" Scott said no, so Smelly LaRue turned to me. I looked him up and down, then without a word, I opened my jacket so he could see my shield. The color in the man's face drained, and he said "Sorry, officer" before fleeing down the block. Scott turned to me and said, "That was cool."

I just laughed and laughed.

7 comments:

  1. Ohhhh Liiiinda!! Wait for it... Wait for it.... FIRST with Flaaair!! Wyatt, That was the funniest thing I heard today!! You could have told him Happy Holidays too!! HA HA

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOHH Stevie--catch you later!

    Well, Earpy, how grinchlike! Didn't you have a candy cane? J/K
    Makes me very nervous when asked for change--I always wonder if they're armed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ssssteve - It was pretty funny. The look on his face was priceless.

    Linda - A lot of times they do, so it's best to politely tell them no. Unless you're a cop, that is!

    Ty - Thanks! I thought so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tooooo cooooooooool!!!!! Did you have the aviator sunglasses on, too? Hey, what would happen if I flashed my "badge(s)?" TEE HEE!

    PS...Sorry to hear about the officer that was shot tonight. At least there is one bad guy who won't shoot a gun again.

    Somehow, I didn't believe a word the Mayor said regarding his personal conversation with the officer.
    Have a good evening, Earp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now THAT was a missed photo op:) Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. RT - No glasses, unfortunately, but feel free to flash your "badges!" The sergeant should be okay - even after being hit in the groin (OUCH!) - and the bad guy is pushing daisies. Heh.

    SK - No digital camera, either. Dang.

    ReplyDelete