About

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Rudder A-midshipmen!

Thousands of students from the nation's military academies descended on my hometown for the 106th Annual Army-Navy Game. And, as is custom, my neighbor (a former army tanker) descended on Casa de Wyatt to watch the festivities in Hi-Def. Since Denny is gung-ho for the Black Knights, it is only fitting that - as his friend - I obnoxiously cheer for the Midshipmen.

And, as has been custom, Navy spanked Army, 42-23.

As Denny was making The Walk of Shame back to his home, a few things struck me - thankfully not his fist - about this year's event:

  • Navy's cheerleaders were much more attractive than Army's, but the Army babes had the better outfits by far!
  • When CBS showed some famous grads from the two academies, Army propped up Patton, Ike, and Omar Bradley. Navy posted Jimmy Carter! Ouch.
  • Philadelphia sucks when it comes to "going all out" for the traditional game. The half-assed field painting - we could still plainly see the Eagles logo coming through the temporary Army and Navy end zones - made me cringe. Maybe the game should be played in Giants Stadium.
  • Does football get any better than Army-Navy? Despite the lopsided final, the overall play was terrific from both sides, and nary a penalty was called. Try seeing that in the NFL.

7 comments:

  1. At least we've become good enough hosts to not have the young men and women risk life and limb in their excitement of the game. The Vet was a disgrace. I don't think the local news paid as much attention to the festivities as they have in the past, too. I always root for Army...damn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheering for the Navy. Ugh.

    You're dead to me now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, c'mon people! Army, Navy, Marines, AF, Marines...it's all good. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  4. RT - I was embarrassed when that rail collapsed. Another black eye for my city.

    Stella - Oh, please. You LOVE me, and I'm still cheering for Navy - not that I don't love all of our armed forces - but since Denny is an obnoxious Army fan, I had to be Devil's Advocate.

    Uber - My point exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watching Navy run their offense is like watcing old people bang. I think I watched the game for an hour before Navy passed the ball.

    Being a Wide Reciever on Navy is like being a scorekeeper for the NY Jets...boring...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh God, they actually showed a picture of Jimmy Carter????

    And still managed to win?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jimmy Carter?? Oh, the shame!!

    ReplyDelete