About

Saturday, January 21, 2006

BSG: Bloody Stinking Good!

Cylons? Yeah, I guess they have some good ideas.

Shift work makes it difficult to immediately post about my favorite television programs. My friend Bill's procrastination in getting cable/satellite makes it even more difficult. Tonight is one of the rare exceptions when I can post within hours after the broadcast - and I'm not waiting on Bill any longer. If Battlestar Galactica is to become a hit with SYLG readers, I need to post about it a helluva lot more often. Hell, maybe I can even beat Dave to the punch.

Spoiler alert! If you haven't seen this week's show, read on at your own risk:

When we last left our heroes, the delicious cylon #6 shot Admiral Cain in the head, cylon Boomer is still preggers with Helo's human/cylon love child, and Adama still hasn't smiled. This week's stellar episode (pun intended) featured a dying President and sabotage by cylon sympathizers.

I won't ruin the episode for those who haven't yet seen it, but I did want to mention the not-so-subtle references in this episode to the controversy surrounding the War on Terror. Cylon sympathizers sabotage the vipers' weapons systems in an attempt to destabilize the military and sue for peace with the "tin cans." When the saboteur is exposed, Adama learns that the "peaceniks" are more numerous than anyone thought. One thing leads to another, and a tylium refinery is destroyed in the name of "peace."

The writers show the dichotomy between the military's "lock them away and/or beat them silly" position and the peace activists' "by any means necessary" mantra. The message, while obvious, was not preachy, which is the last thing I want from BSG. Instead, the episode showed the good and bad of both sides, and ultimately the compassion of (get this) the sitting President. Nice.

7 comments: