About

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Five Great Film Beginnings

Sometimes a great opening scene can make even the worst films worth watching. Sometimes a great opening scene can turn a good film into an excellent film. Here are five of my favorite opening scenes that keep me coming back for more:

Desert Chase – The Road Warrior

The penultimate beginning car chase – at least until the one at the end of this epic film – is terrific for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which is watching Mad Max slam on the brakes in time for Wez to take an arrow in the forearm.

Normandy Landing – Saving Private Ryan

Greatest (and bloodiest) battle scene . . . ever!

Jewelry Store Robbery – Snatch

One of my favorite movies starts off with a bang. Just listening to Benicio Del Toro speak with a Yiddish accent is worth the price of admission.

Blockade Run – Star Wars, Episode IV

The scene that shaped my childhood: the rebel Blockade Runner being chased down by a Star Destroyer. I wanted to enlist in the Imperial Army right then and there.

Nightcrawler Attack – X-Men 2

A one-mutant wrecking machine, Nightcrawler takes out the entire Secret Service detail inside the White House. Nice.

Got some I missed? Let me know.

9 comments:

  1. Hopped over here by way of LCM.

    Your blog looks interesting and fun. And we have a few mutual friends. It is weird that I didn't find this place till now.

    These are great film beginnings. But the greatest ever IMHO is "The Jerk."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The greatest movie beginning is obviously also that of the greatest movie, Citizen Kane, the first line being the famous "Rosebud". Since then many movies have copied the idea of present-past-present story structure and it's hard to find a film without at least one flashback.

    anyone who thought it was funny that I diss myself by saying that "my blogging isn't even that bad"-see for yourself:

    www.waldofiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Gilmore - (almost the beginning). Happy is in the batting cage getting blasted by baseballs in preparation for next years hockey tryouts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BWH - I love that movie! "I'm in the phone book! I'm in the phone book!"

    Waldo - The Simpsons do a great sendoff of it with Mr. Burns in the title role.

    Randal - Agreed. "Oooh, that one hurt a little."

    ReplyDelete
  5. NO the beginning of the jerk was him on the street corner then he said I was a poor black kid frfom mississippi...or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doc - I know that, I was just throwing out one of my favorite lines. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I can't believe nobody mentioned JAWS. A naked chick being chowed down by a 25 foot geat white shark. Classic.

    ReplyDelete