About

Friday, June 09, 2006

Things I Like

. . . and I don't give a rat's ass if you don't.

The World Cup

Normally, I wouldn't be bothered with soccer, and the MLS is a little weak for me. However, the World Cup is the biggest sports tournament on the planet, and with one billion people watching the matches, how can you resist? Well, it's easy if you're an American. The country that brought us baseball complains that soccer is too boring.? Are you kidding me? The same folks that whine that there isn't enough scoring are the same ones who revel in a 1-1 ice hockey game. I don't get it. Any hoo, the matches begin today in Germany with the host nation facing Costa Rica. And that bit about scoring, through the first twenty minutes three goals were scored.

By the way, the ESPN broadcast team is a little bland, so I like to switch over to Univision occasionally. After the first score, the Spanish broadcaster shouted:

"Gol!, Gol!, Gol!, Gol!, Gol!, Go!, Gol!, Gol!, Gol!, Gol!, Gol!, Gol!"

Twelve times. Ya gotta love it.

History

I live thrive on The History Channel. While my friends were breezing through easy classes, one of my college electives was Russian History - I made it out with a "C." More than half of my personal library consists of World War I and II accounts and biographies. Currently, "Knights Cross: The Life of Erwin Rommel" is my read of choice. I am not sure why history is so interesting to me; maybe it's because I take great pleasure listening to people who think they have a clue. Radio hosts, "journalists," and libtard teachers who preach their own version of history to students gives me the giggles. I think it is one of those subjects that is suffering through the "Dumbing Down of America."

Israel

Compared to Israel, America is a bunch of pansies. Always standing up to the bullies that surround them, you can barely read a paper that doesn't mention an Israeli counterattack on one of its fine, upstanding neighbors. They realize that they are basically alone in their region, and they couldn't care less. While America is continually infighting about our response to terrorism, Israel gleefully sorties another fighter mission. They are the country America used to be, but - thanks to the P.C. cancer - will probably will never be again.

11 comments:

  1. Update - Now SIX goals in the first game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. History - How can you like watching the history? It's all re-runs ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Life of Erwin Rommel?? Has that been what the Hamburglar's been saying all this time "Rommel Rommel Rommel"? You learn something everyday.

    . . .and I am wearing panties. . .hers.

    BTW, as trashed as your two were, there is not a chance for a testicle among you for not asking. . . .Maybe that's where Fish was all night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randal - Okay, that was pretty funny.

    Deathlok - We were not trashed. We were mildly toastered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RG - You mean hitler dies at the end of Band of Brothers?! Damn that spoiled the ending!

    During sweeps week, the History channel is running a weeklong show "Girls Eddie Van Halen had BEFORE Valerie Bertonelli". Shouold be pretty good, unless they show "where are they now" pictures.

    DL - I couldn't have mustered the testes to ask her the time of day, let alone asking her about her position on the wearing of under-things. That's the only advantage of being married - testes are no longer required, and in fact are frequently frowned upon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to say something about your love of history....but I think I'm speechless now!

    Oh yeah, I too am in awe of Israel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Germany looks tough....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the digital cable history channel, too...really interesting. I also like the Nat'l Geographic channel and the Military channel...They are all very educational and interesting (despite the reruns--ha Randal). NOT ALL TEACHERS ARE LIBTARDS!!!!!!

    Italian League (sp...am a tard today) soccer is my favorite! Haven't watched it in a while though.

    I was in high school when Israel bombed Iran...they have balls the size of basketballs and the strength of steel! Any country that has turned its back on them has suffered in the long run, too....We best stay their friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite pizza place is run by Italians and the rest of the staff is Mexican. They have cable and pipe in the World Cup. Today at lunch they were all glued to the screen. I've decided I am heading there for lunch tomorrow if nothing else to watch the guys watch soccer, I mean football.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What was the attraction of Russian history? Why not American?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vinnie - "Girls Eddie Van Halen had BEFORE Valerie Bertonelli." Nice!

    TM - I agree. They look awesome.

    RT - The Military Channel is also a fave. Now if they could only broadcast in HDTV . . .

    Rachel - They have a few places in Philly that are like that. It's the perfect spot to watch a game.

    Lin - A new challenge.

    AH - Tales of the Gun. Friggin' sweet!

    ReplyDelete