About

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Gavel Rouser

"I'm this century's Dennis the Menace." - Bart Simpson, circa 1992

I am a troublemaker. I always have been a troublemaker, and I probably always will be a troublemaker. So, when someone gives me grief over some intended mischief, I try and laugh it off. However, when I get lambasted over something beyond my control, my Irish (and Slovak) gets up.

Today was one of those days.

One of my cases, an aggravated assault, was set for a jury trial today. The defendant's attorney declined a plea bargain - six months reporting probation - even though I had a signed confession from her client. The jury was going to be picked in the morning while I was working, and I was placed in "on call" status - as policy dictates. If and when the trial began, the courtroom would give the division a call, and I would come down.

The reason detectives are put on call during daywork is a matter of manpower. If every detective was present for every case, nothing would get done. As an example, we had six detectives working today, and of the six, five of them had court appearances.

Anyway, my jury was picked, and the ADA called at 10:45am. He wanted to know how long it would take me to get there. I wanted to use Mr. Wolf's line:

"It's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten."

When I arrived, the DA was annoyed, even though he was well aware of the on call policy. We stepped into the courtroom, and the judge, enraged, ordered me into his chambers.

"I need an adult! I need an adult!"

What followed was a ten-minute, profanity-laced tirade. The judge threatened to hold me in contempt of court for being late, and when I replied, "That is your decision," he was not amused. I calmly explained the on call policy decreed by the police commissioner, and he couldn't care less. I didn't help matters by stating, "Respectively, if you or your family needed a detective, and there weren't any available, would you be upset?"

The judge then called my captain.

Although the captain also refrained the commissioner's policy, it didn't deter this judge from yelling at him as well. He hung up, and told me to get out of his office. I did, and immediately went on the stand for my testimony - since I am sure that this guy would be fair and unbiased towards it - and after a few minutes, I was excused. Not content to rip me and my commanding officer, the judge threw a few snide comments my way - on the record, and in front of the jury - as I left the room.

The day ended with the jury still in deliberations, and while I was waiting for the elevator, the judge came out with his assistant. Ever the a-hole, he said, "Everyone needs to obey the laws of the court, even police officers. I expect you will be here at 9am tomorrow." I gave the "judge" a dirty look and said, "Uh-huh." Then, turning to the court clerk, I asked what time the high and mighty judge began court this morning - it was scheduled for 9am.

His reply? 10:10am.

6 comments:

  1. You mean you didn't pull a Pacino with, "This whole courtroom is outta order!"? What a flippin' prick! (Censored for your auntie)

    I almost went to law school...but then I thought better of it. I didn't want to turn into "one of them."

    Just sit there and smile the entire time tomorrow(big ass toothy grin)...no matter what is asked or said; just smile. It will drive them crazy and you haven't said anything that can be held against you (ha ha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. RT - The best part: I was there so long after his tirade that I made two hours overtime. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog cause it makes the people I deal with at work seem like angels in comparison.

    You're a better man than me, gunslinger. I'd probably be spending the night in jail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who can judge the judges? It must be nice to be that arrogant and better then others. Are the prosecutors as bad?

    I love the "on call" thing. You perhaps should have just teleported to the court when called. I worked a case once where I was "on call" to testify in West Palm Beach, FL. I aked if I should fly down the night before and was told "No". "Just go to work in your suit, and we will call you". I tried to explain that once called, it would probably take me 6-12 hours to get there. I was treated like I was being uncooperative. Yet each day for a week, I was "on call". Then the jackass pled guilty.

    As a follow-up, I considered sending the prosecutor a globe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Andy, I probably would have popped him in the mouth! What a dirt bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't you have the DA ask something that will get your reason for being late into the record? You know "Oh, yeah it's because of the RULES." asshat judges....arrrgh.

    ReplyDelete