About

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Your Daily Dose Of Exhaustion

The following takes place between 7:00am and 11:30pm.

Sorry about the lack of posting, but I have been working non-stop since 7am. Here's the rundown:

7:00am - I wake up for court after getting about six hours sleep. Although exhaustion is hindering my progress, our team (Badger, Sean, and I) won Quizo last night! Hat Tip to Sean for knowing the State Song of Tennessee; The Tennessee Waltz. That answer put us over the top.

9:00am - After fighting rush hour traffic - I hate driving on Interstate 95 - I clock in at court - that cha-ching sound you hear is my OT adding up - and proceed to my room. Today's festivities include an Attempted Murder trial where a bizarre love triangle amongst three women turns ugly. The two new lovers attack the former with a knife, and stab her in the chest, shoulder, neck, and head. The head shot lacerates an artery, nearly killing the complainant.

10:00am - The ADA in the case, a terrific lawyer named McCrae, asks me to get the knife from the evidence custodian. The trial is indeed going on today. Sweet!

12:00pm - After the complainant was on the stand for over an hour, I am called to testify. I answer the questions from the ADA and the defense attorneys with little emotion, since I learned a long time ago that if the defense gets you riled up, you already lost. After thinking that the knife would not be allowed to be submitted into evidence, the ADA and I convince the judge to allow it. Score!

1:45pm - ADA McCrae gives one of the best closing arguments I have ever seen, and both defendants are convicted on every count except the attempted murder. The aggravated assault charges stick, and these "women" will be spending their foreseeable future in a jail cell. The ADA is happy. I am happy. But most of all, the victim and her father are ecstatic. The good guys won one today.

2:15pm - After returning the knife, I am speeding home on I-95. I am due to start work at 3pm, and it's a thirty-minute drive from home. I get home at 2:40pm, go upstairs for my mid-afternoon "sit-down," and rush out to work. My clothes are starting to reek a little bit.

2:17pm - Captain Den sees me leaving for work, and tells me he has one of his famous "Tales of Woe." When I tell him I am running late for work, he replies, "You're already late. What's ten more minutes gonna matter?" His Tale of Woe was a pretty good one, but it took longer than ten minutes to tell.

3:30pm - I arrive at work to see that my jackass co-workers left me a three-inch high pile of work. It is my job to assign and enter the jobs into the computer. Usually after a few days off I have to enter five or six. Today I was left with twenty-eight unassigned jobs! I was royally pissed. The entire process of assigning them and entering them into the computer took four hours.

11:00pm - After a whirlwind day, I enter my final assignment. The total entered is fifty. FIFTY!!! Our S&R (the daily log) was ten pages long. I almost knocked people over when it was time to leave. I just wanted out.

11:30pm - Home at last. I realize that I have been wearing the same clothes for sixteen hours. Although sleep is an appealing thought, I remember I haven't posted yet today. Damn.

So, how was your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment