About

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Saying Goodbye To Chuck

Today was Chuck Cassidy's funeral, and for a change, I am at a loss for words. Here is a clipping from The Philadelphia Inquirer:
Speaking before a congregation of family, friends, politicians and police at the Cathedral Basilica of SS. Peter and Paul, the Rev. Carl Janicki quoted the words of Jesus at the Funeral Mass for slain Officer Chuck Cassidy.

"No one has greater love than this to lay down one's life down for one's friends," said Janicki, the president of Cardinal Dougherty High School.

"Christ's words tell us exactly what happened to Chuck's life on Wednesday, Oct. 31. At that moment in the [Dunkin' Donuts] shop, virtue and vice met.

"It may appear vice won that day," Janicki said. "Vice may win the moment, but virtue always wins the day."
My fellow detectives and I arrived before 8am, and stayed until the funeral procession pulled away at about 2:30pm. We were lucky enough to get seats inside the Cathedral, and it was a sad finale to a very difficult week; possibly the worst of my career. I am really looking to my days off on Friday and Saturday.

I will do my best to get back to a regular blogging routine as early as tomorrow, but tonight, I think I'll grieve a little more. If you'd like, you can also check out Remember Chuck, a website created by his family and friends.

I, for one, will never forget you, Chuck. Godspeed, brother.

(Linked at OTB's Beltway Traffic Jam.)

No comments:

Post a Comment